Founder & Principal Designer
- Design Collaboratory is a new design studio and consultancy formed to help public sector, non-profits, and social enterprises fulfill their missions by using human-centered design and design thinking.
City of Seattle
Civic Designer, Innovation & Performance, Mayor's Office
- Bloomberg Philanthropies funds innovation teams (i-teams) who help city leaders drive bold innovation, change culture, and create an ongoing ability to tackle big problems and deliver better results for residents. I am serving as Civic Designer as part of an 18-month grant.
- I bring design-based approaches to identify the root causes of civic challenges by exploring the perspectives of residents, government, and community stakeholders with a specific focus on co-creation, research, idea generation, and prototyping.
- I am currently focused on economic opportunity for young people and the future of work. My previous projects include designing a new app to connect youth who are experiencing homelessness with their case managers; exploring ways to better connect low-income residents to city services through technology; and using human centered design to find new approaches to integrate racial equity into the budget process.
Principal Designer, Community Services, Seattle IT
- Designed and built digital products such as an invoicing system for community contractors, a mobile app for police officers at homeless encampments, a grants management system for artists.
- Co-created technology plan and roadmap to advance equitable public outreach and engagement.
- Facilitated and led workshops for design, user feedback, testing and training. Gave product presentations and demos for internal and external stakeholders.
Principal Designer, Office of Labor Standards & Office for Civil Rights
- Worked with multi-disciplinary teams such as communications, policy, and enforcement to outreach materials and websites. Web manager for 8+ websites; IT support for team of 30.
- Redesigned case management system by eliciting user requirements, writing user stories and use cases, creating wireframes and high-fidelity prototypes; conducted user acceptance testing.
Hasso Plattner Institute of Design at Stanford (d.school)
- The Designing for Social Systems (DSS) is an intensive workshop for leaders and practitioners in nonprofit, philanthropy, government, and social impact fields to advance the way they work. Participants learn the tools and approaches of design thinking and how to apply them to multi-stakeholder projects in the social sector by tackling a real-world challenge in partnership with a nonprofit organization. I coached participants through their learning experience.
Center for Social Inclusion
Designer, Government Alliance on Race and Equity
- Designed website and marketing materials.
UW Medicine, University of Washington
Designer, Strategic Marketing & Communications
- Developed web brand style guide for UW Medicine and affiliated entities; ensured brand consistency and developed strategies to bring all web properties into brand.
- Designed and prototyped site improvements and features; conducted user acceptance testing; identified, documented and debugged technical problems.
- Prototyped solutions; designed marketing materials such as mailers and social media content; created and edited graphics, layouts, and photos and other content as needed.
- Lead end-to-end design processes for digital products from start to finish - typical project involved client consultation and user research; eliciting user requirements; design strategy; web development and testing.
- Lived / Worked Abroad: Spent six months in Iceland, England; cycled across Europe and Asia to document people, food, and stories; gave presentations to schools and other groups.
- Cycled 5,000 miles (solo): England, Netherlands, Germany, Denmark, Norway, Sweden, Finland, Estonia, Latvia, Lithuania, Poland, Czech Republic, Austria, Slovenia, Italy
- Cycled 10,000 miles (partnered): Spain, Portugal, France, Monaco, Italy, Slovenia, Austria, Croatia, Bosnia and Herzegovina, Montenegro, Albania, Macedonia, Serbia, Bulgaria, Greece, Turkey, Georgia, Ukraine, Japan, Korea, China, Singapore, Malaysia, Thailand, Cambodia, Vietnam
- Worked within development team to analyze user interface problems, suggest improvements, and prototype solutions. Collaborated with marketing and sales staff to create marketing materials.
- Tested product; documented bugs; provided feedback about design, usability, and user experience. Assisted with front-end development for web application, website, and landing pages.
- Contributed to marketing strategy and created brand concept for website redesign.
ArtCenter College of Design
Bachelor of Fine Arts, Illustration
- Unexpected Productions – Improv
- Stanford University (d.school) – Designing for Social Systems
- THNK School of Creative Leadership – Leading Teams for Creativity
- City of Seattle – Emerging Leaders Program
- University of British Columbia – Fundamentals of Business Analysis; Requirements Gathering, Analysis, and Documentation; Change Management and Process Implementation
- University of Washington – Personality & Individual Differences; User-Centered Design; Storytelling & Content Strategy
- Center for Nonviolent Communication – Introduction to Nonviolent Communication; Nonviolent Communication Basics; Sharing Essentials
- Antioch University – Family Systems; Multicultural & Systems Perspectives
- Harvard University – Participant, Smart Cities Innovation Accelerator
- Impact Hub Seattle – Participant, Communities for Change
- Peace Boat – Guest Educator, 81st Global Voyage
- Master Gardener Foundation of King County – Community Educator
- Seattle Public Library – Homework Helper
- Human-Centered Design
- Design Thinking
- Qualitative Research
- Design Strategy & Management
- Digital Product Design (UI/UX)
- Service Design
- Design Coaching
- Workshop Design & Facilitation
- Collaborative Innovation
- Bicycle Repair